- Our main focus is the safety and longevity of the vehicle
- Hands of The Carpenter does not do the following repairs through the program:
- Rebuild or replace transmissions
- Rebuild or replace engines
- Repairs and vehicle damages that are a result of an accident or vandalism
- Make repairs on vehicles with an ignition interlock device or breath alcohol ignition interlock device (IID and BAIID)
- note: AC repairs at 70% of retail value
The Hands' Good Neighbor Garage
Vehicle Repair Program
Vehicle repairs are often unexpected and costly. The Hands of The Carpenter Vehicle Repair Program focuses on providing single moms and other women in need with much-needed car repairs at a greatly reduced cost. We are currently requiring clients to pay 35% of the total repairs. This contribution is a way for each woman we serve to participate in the help we will offer to the next woman.
- Applicants must be single women residing in Jefferson County*
- Applicants must be valid legal drivers, and must be able to prove it with the following documents:
- Current valid driver’s license
- Current and valid vehicle registration (Must be registered in client’s name)
- Current and covered insurance
Vehicle Ownership Requirement:
- Currently we ask that the client has owned the vehicle for at least six months and are on the registration
Type of Vehicle Requirements:
- 2000 and newer vehicles
- Non–luxury, Non-sport
Hands’ Vehicle Repair Program is not free:
- Currently we require the client to pay 35% of the Total Authorized Repairs, plus sales tax.
- Tires, batteries and towing is charged at 50%.
- Payment is due at the time of pick up once the approved repairs are complete
- Client will be asked about her ability to pay for on-going vehicle related costs (i.e. gas, maintenance, insurance, annual registration)
- We will offer 4 oil changes a year at $15 each. If the client comes to 3 out of the 4 visits, we will offer repairs the second year at 50%. After the second year, the client graduates from our program. (see details here)
How does the Vehicle Repair Program work?
Please note that due to demand, the program fills up and we have to close down the application process until more vehicles are available. You may always check back here to see if it is open.
Vehicle Repair Program - Apply Now!
Unfortunately, if you are not a Jefferson County Resident, we will not be able to serve you unless you are a referral from one of our existing nonprofit partners.