updated: April 16, 2020
Please watch the video message from Founder/CEO Dan Georgopulos on Hands’ current situation, the economic impact COVID-19 is having on our clients, and how you can help during these unique and unsettling times.
Hands “stay at home” orders
I want to share that Hands is considered an essential business during “stay-at-home” orders. Operating with the highest level of care, our team is continuing to serve women who come for help and hope. If you’re interested and able to view it, we posted a Facebook live video of the precautions we are taking.
In a recent survey to 137 women who are currently in the two-year program receiving repair, maintenance and vehicle education, these items alarmed me:
- 60% of responding women have reported having lost a job, had reduced hours/pay or their business has closed all together as a result of COVID-19.
- 40% suggest that their vehicle currently needs maintenance or repair
- We are seeing that it will become necessary for Hands to cover a larger portion of the repair costs and some will need additional support such as help with gas, insurance or registration fees.
Hands financial situation
While Hands has been building contingency funds, I am troubled at what has happened already and concerned about having resources to serve our clients for the remainder of the year. Given the extreme situation of this pandemic, the economic fallout has touched Hands in the following ways
- Presentations to groups of potential donors have been cancelled
- Payments of approved grant funds have been postponed indefinitely
- Car donations are down
- Hands’ spring event has been cancelled
- The impact of the anticipated financial loss and increased need from clients is estimated at $250,000 over the coming months
Hands Champions have asked how to help…here’s the answer:
Your gift today is urgent, important and will be instrumental in bringing relief and hope to single women needing safe and reliable transportation. To meet the anticipated and extraordinary needs of women in our local communities/neighborhoods, please consider:
- One time gifts given by check will allow the funding to reach Hands immediately. A link to giving through credit card is also below
- Vehicle donations that you (or someone you know) may or may not have planned
- Spread your gift throughout the year with recurring monthly gifts
Thank you for bringing relief and hope to single women needing safe and reliable transportation to provide for their families. As we weather this storm, Hands will come out even stronger.
“We are not all called to do great things; we are called to do small things with great love.” I am grateful for you and the love you show to the women we are serving together.
A message/song of hope from a courageous client years ago: